[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Feb 13 19:00:53 PST 2023

On 2/13/2023 6:39 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> Both. It was a perfect example of a virtuous circle. Berners-Lee and
> Cailliau chose Telnet/TCP/IP because it was there,

This sort of topic is difficult to discuss without being swayed by the
bias of one's preferences, as well as the inability to do a rigorous
assessment, what with the vagaries and ambiguities of human behavior.
Which is to say, there is no certainty in what follows, no matter how
strong my certitude...

Nonetheless, consider that the Internet was on a very steady growth
curve throughout the 80s, continuing along the curve for years
afterward. It had become a viable commercial market -- not yet a /mass/
market, but still a viable one -- before the Web was created.  EMail as
quite an active, inter-enterprise service. Then consider that gopher was
already around and gaining ground.

When the web appeared, it demonstrated much better functionality and
usability; so it's not as if it did not significantly add to the appeal
of the Internet.

Stkll, from what I watched and participated in, by the late 1980s,  it
was entirely clear that the Internet was going to go global and
dominate.  There was increasing market demand and no viable
alternative.  With or without the Web.  The Web, however, made that
dominate significantly nicer and more functional.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking