[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 18:39:34 PST 2023

> The Web emergence in the mid 90s was possibly more a result of TCP's
> success in enabling universal connectivity rather than a cause of TCP's
> success.

Both. It was a perfect example of a virtuous circle. Berners-Lee and
Cailliau chose Telnet/TCP/IP because it was there, on *all* target
systems of interest in the high-energy physics community, and then
Internet users chose WWW because it was everywhere after its release
to the public domain.

Regards
    Brian