[ih] History of IoT

Michael Thomas enervatron at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 14:21:51 PST 2023

On 2/13/23 2:13 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> Semantics question: are you asking about *Internet* of things, or
> *network* of things?

Definitely Internet of Things.

> Networks of things go back to the early 1970s at least**. I worked
> in process control then and one of the things we were controlling
> was the (original) CERN proton synchrotron. A few years later
> we put microprocessors in distributed CAMAC crates and controlled
> things by the hundreds.
>
> But if it's strictly *Internet*, it couldn't predate 1/1/1983,
> could it?

I suppose if you define it is as post flag day. The one thing I haven't
gotten clarity on is whether the internet coke machine was just some
sensor hardware that was just attached to a regular host in those days.
What's occurring to me is that that might be what the distinction was
being made with the toaster which was standalone, which seems valid. It
might explain why other knock ons aren't really considered IoT since
they would have very likely followed the host+gadgets kind of setup.

PC's with the gadgets duct taped to them probably is more gray area.

Mike