[ih] History of IoT

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 14:13:32 PST 2023

Semantics question: are you asking about *Internet* of things, or
*network* of things?

Networks of things go back to the early 1970s at least**. I worked
in process control then and one of the things we were controlling
was the (original) CERN proton synchrotron. A few years later
we put microprocessors in distributed CAMAC crates and controlled
things by the hundreds.

But if it's strictly *Internet*, it couldn't predate 1/1/1983,
could it?

** You could make a case that SAGE was a network of things, starting
in about 1958.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter