[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 09:42:41 PST 2023

Miles,

> On Feb 11, 2023, at 9:25 AM, Miles Fidelman via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> I seem to recall ATM working just fine, as a backbone technology.  Heck, BBN even went off and started Lightstream to build ATM switches.  It's just another form of low-level multiplexing.  Even Frame Relay, when it was used at the link layer, worked just fine.

When ATM first came out, its 155Mbps speed was fast compared to what else existed at the time, like 10M Ethernet.   I admit to having gotten sucked in for a while (BBN and Ipsilon).

Now in hindsight, ATM’s small cell size (53 bytes) would become a problem at much higher speeds like 100Gbps, both from the cell/second rate needed and the percentage of overhead (5 bytes header and 48 bytes payload) in each cell.   It didn’t scale up very well.

I used to like saying that ATM was like ATM machines except that you only were allowed to put money in :-)

Bob