[ih] Design choices in SMTP (custom emails per recipient)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Feb 9 13:03:09 PST 2023

I remember that hack.  You could send email posing as anyone you liked,
by just putting whatever you wanted into the From: header field.   It
drove me crazy trying to get my mail server, which tried to parse and
verify those fields, to deal with all the poetry people put into email
headers.

Sadly, it's not just a problem of the ancient 1970s/80s.  I regularly
receive emails now, in 2023, which look like I sent them.   I can
recognize them as phishing blackmail, but I suspect many people cannot
tell that they're forged.

Here's one below that I got recently.   Allegedly I sent it to myself.
By looking at the message source, I can tell from the 103.167.66.22
address that it actually came from somewhere in the Philippines.   And
trust me -- I didn't send it.  So it's apparently still easy to forge
the source and author of messages, probably using a different technique
instead of Telnet to port 25.

After 50 years of technology progress, I would have expected such
vulnerabilities of the 70s research networks to have been addressed by
now.  Perhaps Historians can explain why that hasn't happened?

Jack  (check this message's source if you suspect it's forged.....)

PS - Here's a piece of a recent forged message source: