[ih] Design choices in SMTP

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Thu Feb 9 08:10:42 PST 2023

Heh, heh.  Here's an unexpected consequence.

UCLA's 360/91, the centerpiece of the Campus Computing Network (CCN) was
one of the supercomputers of the day.  DARPA/IPTO purchased a large chunk
of computing time to support the climate dynamics research work we were
doing.  One of the key investigators was at Rand Corp in Santa Monica.  The
CCNRJE protocol made it possible for the Rand folks to interact with CCN
without driving to UCLA.

In 1974, I left DARPA and moved back to Los Angeles.  I started working at
ISI, but I still needed to complete my PhD thesis at UCLA.  Although I
didn't need to take any more classes, I noticed an interesting course in
the catalog on Public Systems Analysis, taught by Jan Chaiken.  Chaiken was
on the staff at Rand and was teaching the course on the side.  It looked
interesting, so I signed up for the course.

Chaiken organized the course to move from basic material on various public
systems, e.g. location of fire stations, and math stuff progressing toward
more practical problems.  For the third quarter, we took on the problem of
reorganizing the scheduling elective surgeries at the Kaiser Permanente
Health System.  They were experiencing 108% occupancy in the middle of each
week, with patients sleeping on gurneys in the hallways.  However, on the
weekends, occupancy dropped to something like 70%.  The solution to
rescheduling turned out to be a very manageable integer programming
problem.  (Integer programming is the same as linear programming except the
solution points have to be at integer lattice points within the feasible
space.)

One of the application packages available at CCN was a linear and integer
programming package, so all we had to do was gather the necessary data and
submit it to CCN for processing.

In prior years when the class needed to use CCN for the class project,
Chaiken would meet with students at UCLA to submit programs to CCN and wait
for the results.  I pointed out he could do the same from Rand.  Thus, in
spring 1975, we sat in air conditioned offices at Rand one day while we
iterated our submissions.

Chaiken declared it was the best thing he had learned in several years of
teaching the course ;)

Steve

On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 10:32 AM John Day via Internet-history <