[ih] Design choices in SMTP

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Feb 9 07:31:50 PST 2023

NETRJE didn’t get a lot of use because the systems that could support a Server FTP didn’t need the NETRJE. (Can someone correct me about that?)

What did get a lot of use of was CCNRJE written by Bob Braden for the UCLA CCN 360/91. It opened a Telnet connection to the CCNRJE server and then did data transfers with connections a fixed offset from the Telnet connection: one for input, one for output. (Remember all of these applications were using Initial Connection Protocol (ICP) to move the initial connection off the well-known socket.

Take care,
John