[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 16:38:16 PDT 2023

Vint,
On 31-Aug-23 05:35, vinton cerf via Internet-history wrote:
> I don't agree with that analysis, Darius. The NWG spawned the International
> Network Working Group (INWG). IETF emerged from the ICCB->IAB (various
> forms)-> IETF/IRTF.
> IETF is still as collaborative as the original NWG as I see it - more
> formality for sure but still essentially a collaborative enterprise.

Isn't there one significant demographic difference, though: the modern
IETF has a *much* higher fraction  of participants employed by vendors
than the INWG and the early IETF? Despite the rule that people participate
as individuals, I suspect that this has a major impact on the way ideas
flow and mingle.

     Brian