[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Michael Thomas enervatron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 20:45:43 PDT 2023

On 8/28/23 8:35 PM, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
> On 8/28/2023 8:08 PM, Michael Thomas via Internet-history wrote:
>> No "we" didn't. Mark Delaney came over to Cisco from Yahoo and we
>> worked it out.
>
> So the extensive meetings, held over an extended period, including
> many people and companies, having discussions that any outside
> observer would call collaborative design was really a charade?

They were window dressing. Jim, Mark and I had already agreed to the
shape of what the output would be well before you ever inserted yourself
into the discussion.

It was good to have industry buy in to make sure we weren't doing
something stupid. But nothing fundamentally changed after our meeting at
Cisco. The main change that happened was the relaxed canonicalization
that Paul Hoffman wanted. Big whoop. The only thing that happened in
IETF was delay and credit grabbing. A perennial problem.

Mike