[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Aug 28 20:19:46 PDT 2023

On 8/28/2023 7:45 PM, Michael Thomas via Internet-history wrote:
> You were not part of the "private cabal". I was the one who decided
> that DNSSec wasn't worth fighting about. I was wrong as it turns out.
> DNSSec deployment has been a disaster. DK got that completely wrong. I
> hosted the meeting where the two drafts were merged at my house in San
> Francisco. You weren't there.

sigh.

Mark Delany, at Yahoo, solicited continuing 'community' comments from me
and Eric Allman, early in the development of DomainKeys. It became
highly collaborative.  And this was long before there was any
interaction with the IETF.  I'd guess a year.

I've no idea how the timelines compared.  DomainKeys was quickly quite
visible.  I didn't know of IIM until much later, as DK was getting ready
to move to the IETF, as I recall.

I do know that the cabal I'm referring to had a substantial number of
companies involved, and an extended series of meetings, over roughly a
year, and at a variety venues.  Yours might have been one of them.  For
the most part, the cabal's dynamic was quite collaborative among the
range of participants.  There was an exception, of course.

I also have no idea what your reference to DNSSec and Domainkeys is
about, since DK didn't involve DNSSec.

As for minor vs. major influences, I'll note that:

4870 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc4870> 	*Domain-Based Email
Authentication Using Public Keys Advertised in the DNS (DomainKeys)* M.
Delany [ May 2007 ] (TXT, HTML) (Obsoleted-By RFC4871
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc4871>) (Status: HISTORIC) (Stream:
IETF, WG: NON WORKING GROUP) (DOI: 10.17487/RFC4870)
4871 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc4871> 	*DomainKeys Identified
Mail (DKIM) Signatures* E. Allman, J. Callas, M. Delany, M. Libbey, J.
Fenton, M. Thomas [ May 2007 ] (TXT, HTML) (Obsoletes RFC4870
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc4870>) (Obsoleted-By RFC6376
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc6376>) (Updated-By RFC5672
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5672>) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
(Stream: IETF, Area: art, WG: dkim) (DOI: 10.17487/RFC4871)

permits easy comparison between the original Yahoo work and DKIM.
Perhaps significantly, IIM was not published as an RFC.

As part of the process to resolve some essential issues, during the DKIM
effort, at one point I did a functional matrix to compare the two source
specifications.  One was quite pragmatic, aesthetically ugly, and very
badly written.  The other was very well written, prettier in design, but
had adoption challenges, such as requiringd creation of a new global
database. Developing the comparison analysis was educational.

As for who was present for what, my recollection is that there were a
number of us present at pretty much all of the activity, across the arc
from Yahoo's effort to DKIM's initial and revised publications.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking