[ih] Memories of Flag Day?

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Aug 17 19:40:30 PDT 2023

On 8/17/2023 6:58 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:

> In 1995, I'd have said of the CERN and HEP (high energy physics)
> networks:
>
> "We built them for email, remote login and file transfer, ok, access
> to remote resources. WWW was an accident."

At the earliest stages of effort to build the Arpanet, perhaps email was
not in the minds of the immediate workers.

And in the motivating paper from Licklider and Taylor:

    https://bbiw.net/reports/lick-taylor-1968.pdf

there is no concept of person-to-person 'messaging' explicitly stated.

What /was/ stated was people interacting.  Push that requirement and it
has to lead to asynchronous, as well as synchronous communications.

Bhushan said that email was part of the plan for FTP.  It didn't show up
in the earliest FTP work, but it showed up pretty darn quickly.

On 8/17/2023 7:27 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> Sure, and the WWW was literally an afterthought, mentioned very
> briefly in the Epilogue.

As soon as there was Anonymous FTP, a richer and more usable version of
distributed document sharing was inevitable.  So while the particular
winner was ad hoc and from an unexpected source, something like it was
certain to happen.

d/

--
Dave Crocker