[ih] 'internet' and 'catenet'

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Thu Aug 10 11:09:56 PDT 2023

> perhaps we can come up with a snappy memorable term for a disconnected
> group of networks that exchange IP packets ...

A "catenet"?

That was a good meme that never got picked up by the press and the public.
Maybe it's time to recycle it.

  https://gizmodo.com/the-internet-was-almost-called-the-catenet-875644368

	John

PS:  Since cat images are "that essential building block of the [Ii]nternet",
why not give them star billing in the name "catenet"?

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_and_the_Internet

PPS: Since this is the Internet-History list, here's an unrelated
1969-07-15 article from the UCLA Daily Bruin, quoting Len Kleinrock
about the not-yet-created ARPANET:

  https://gizmodo.com/the-internets-save-the-date-a-tiny-item-in-a-ucla-stud-898064971