[ih] 'internet' and "Internet"

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 09:30:18 PDT 2023

On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 8:16 AM John Levine via Internet-history
<internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> It appears that Noel Chiappa via Internet-history <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> said:
> >    > From: "John Levine" <johnl at iecc.com>
> >
> >    > You know, sometimes it's time to let go.
>
> >The fact that 'ordinary' people (such as the afore-mentioned idiots at the
> >AP) are confused in their terminology is not relevant. ...
>
> I understand the difference, but in retrospect, it wasn't a great idea
> to come up with two terms with different meanings that differ only in
> capitalization. (How does one pronounce internet and Internet?)
>
> Rather than telling the entire world that they are stupid, which is
> not a great way to change minds, perhaps we can come up with a snappy
> memorable term for a disconnected group of networks that exchange IP
> packets that doesn't look and sound exactly like a word that means
> something else.

"Broadband"?

/me hides

I have been fighting to get my issues understood by those funding and
those funded by the $70B NTIA BEAD programs for over two years now. It
is astonishing, how many talking heads eyes glaze over at a question
as simple as:

"So, this "broadband" of which you speak... does it have IPv6?"

:blank stare:

I kind of gave up on pushing anything but "latency under load", and
only by the time I gave up a few months ago, got "Latency" into the
vocabulary.

> As already noted, there are lots of them in the IoT
> world, at least I hope there are.
>
> R's,
> John
>
> PS: Of course, XKCD has something to say on this topic:
>
> https://xkcd.com/1984/

Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxmoBr4cBKg
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos