[ih] cut and paste

Ole Jacobsen olejacobsen at me.com
Tue Aug 8 17:10:07 PDT 2023

Yes, the term "cut-and-paste" refers to the process of assembling "camera-ready art" (which includes
text and graphics/photographs, etc) onto paste-up boards.

I am going to guess that your high-school days didn't actually involve movable lead type, but rather a
camera that would photograph the whole paste-up board and generate a piece of film which would
then be used to etch an offset plate for printing. My first publication, ConneXions--The Interoperability
Report was produced in this manner, using some combination of multi-page sheets (up to 16 pages per sheet).

Yeah, I know, we've moved away from the original topic :-)

Ole

> On Aug 8, 2023, at 16:45, Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> "Cut and paste" probably dates to shortly after Gutenberg.  From my high school days, I remember "editors" literally cutting articles into pieces, cutting photographs to a particular size, and then literally pasting the pieces onto a large piece of cardboard, the size of a newspaper page.  They could move things around as needed to get everything to fit, and putting "continued on page xx" for the pieces that wouldn't fit.   the paste was applied and then that piece of cardboard was sent off to the Printer, who painstakingly set the lead type into the frames for the printing press that put the page onto paper.   Very Ben Franklin-esque.
>
> I've wondered what an editor might look like if it didn't just mimic ancient traditional non-computer practice.  Is "copy and paste" the only way to use computers to manipulate documents?   Perhaps with the advent of AI we'll see some entirely new ways of doing such things.
>
> Jack

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal