[ih] cut and paste

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Aug 8 16:45:57 PDT 2023

"Cut and paste" probably dates to shortly after Gutenberg.  From my high
school days, I remember "editors" literally cutting articles into
pieces, cutting photographs to a particular size, and then literally
pasting the pieces onto a large piece of cardboard, the size of a
newspaper page.  They could move things around as needed to get
everything to fit, and putting "continued on page xx" for the pieces
that wouldn't fit.   the paste was applied and then that piece of
cardboard was sent off to the Printer, who painstakingly set the lead
type into the frames for the printing press that put the page onto
paper.   Very Ben Franklin-esque.

I've wondered what an editor might look like if it didn't just mimic
ancient traditional non-computer practice.  Is "copy and paste" the only
way to use computers to manipulate documents?   Perhaps with the advent
of AI we'll see some entirely new ways of doing such things.

Jack