[ih] cut and paste

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Mon Aug 7 16:43:03 PDT 2023

Jack et al.,
   This thread is extremely interesting.
   I was a 1970s era CS grad student at CMU.
   A number of my cohort (not me) were both (a) from the Boston area and
(b) headed to Palo Alto.
   On our TOPS-10 system, we had a choice of text editors: either TECO
or a Stanford editor called SOS.  I quickly decided that TECO was too
complicated for a text editor and didn't take its "programming language
and runtime environment" as a (positive) feature.  And SOS was fine.

   But, stepping back, I was amused that an early comment in this thread
assumed that cut/paste originated with the Alto.  I didn't have to wait
too long for folks to point to EMACS and TECO.
   Given the historical shift in the 'center of gravity' of the computer
industry from the northeast to Silicon Valley, and given the many good
reasons to admire the innovations from Si Valley, we sometimes forget
the richness of the DEC / EMACS / ARPAnet / etc. world that predates the
equally wonderful Xerox PARC etc. world.
   Being neither 'from New England' nor ever having headed 'to Si
Valley', I don't have a dog in this hunt.
   But there are so many things about about the techno-culture of the
Boston area computer culture that modern folks don't fully appreciate.

   I wonder whether the Unix culture (referring to the vi editor) is
sort of a third 'New Jersey' locus.

   One last comment: while at the Univ of Washington CS department,
there was a wonderful colleague from the Classics department named
Pierre MacKay.  He wasn't a techie (by background), but was (like many
classics folks) bright as hell.
   He was studying some ancient Greek texts where the earliest sources
are actually Arabic translations (though originally in Greek, the
earliest actual Greek sources for these texts are back-translations from
Arabic).  So, in his research, he wrote monographs on this literature
and the monographs had to have type-set Arabic.  Before the mid-1970s,
this just involved mailing the manuscript Arabic to typesetting
companies in Beirut, and they would come back with beautiful results.
This all fell apart, sadly, during the Lebanese civil war.
   So MacKay set about learning how to program computers and wrote an
Arabic type-setting system.
   Being smart and unafraid of complicated arcane languages, he chose to
use (you guessed it) TECO as his programming language of choice.
   Having succeeded in its use in his research, he offered a "computer
programming for the humanities" course in which TECO was the primary
language.

	-- Guy