[ih] cut and paste

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Aug 7 15:36:56 PDT 2023

TECO, circa 1970, had a notion of "QRegisters", which were places you
could put some text and later insert it into your document elsewhere.
TECO used single-letter commands, which you could string together to
perform complex actions. See http://tenex.opost.com/anhc-31-4-anec.pdf

E.G., "hxa" would put the entire contents of your file into QRegister
"a"; the "h" is shorthand for "0,z" which specifies everything from
character0 through the last character (z).   The "x" is the actual
command top copy text into the specified QRegister. The command "ga"
would "get" the contents of QRegister "a" and insert it into your text
at the current cursor location.

So, "cut and paste" were in use in 1970 and probably earlier.   I don't
recall the terms "cut and paste" being used, and the TECO commands were
not ^C et al, but it's the same function.   Emacs came later, written as
a set of TECO macros and commonly loaded into the "e" QRegister - hence
"E Macros".

Jack Haverty