[ih] cut and paste

Michael Thomas enervatron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 15:15:41 PDT 2023

On 8/7/23 2:30 PM, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
> There has been a spate of FB postings, reminding folk that Larry
> Tesler created cut and paste.
>
> My confusion is that I'd swear Tenex (and maybe Top-10 and maybe one
> or another system at MIT) had ctl-C and ctl-V and probably ctl-X in
> the earliest 1970s, if not earlier.  References to Tesler's innovation
> say it was at Parc.

I have always assumed it was from Parc since the Mac used it as a basis.
Maybe they mean the graphical way by holding the mouse key down and
creating a range. Holding the mouse key down was sort of the equivalent
of C-Space for setting a mark in emacs. But emacs certainly wasn't the
only text editor, so maybe some other editor back in the day used the
C-C, C-X and C-V convention.

Mike