[ih] On queueing from len

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:08:27 PDT 2022

On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 4:22 PM Steve Crocker <steve at shinkuro.com> wrote:

> Miaouing, a variant of meowing, has similar structure.

Yes, longer, larger (less prescriptive?) dictionaries remove the uniqueness
(provided one has a flexible enough definition of "English").

$ v=[aeiou]; ack "$v{5}"  -h | sort | uniq -c
      1 aeaean
      1 cadiueio
      1 chaouia
      2 cooeeing
      1 euouae
      1 guauaenok
      2 miaoued
      2 miaouing
      2 queueing

(prescriptively, i prefer Meowed/Meowing, but i accept descriptive
dictionaries reporting English-as-it-is-(ab)used.
Cooeeing is Australian, so not *proper* English either ;-) )

and one of those gets to 6 vowels, no consonants at all, but is at best
questionably English.

*Euouae* or Evovae is an abbreviation used as a mnemonic in Latin psalters
> and other liturgical books of the Roman Rite to indicate the distribution
> of syllables in the differentia or variable melodic endings of the standard
> psalm tones of Gregorian chant.Wikipedia
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euouae>

Abbreviation/Mnemonic, Latin, Medieval.  I wonder if it's allowed in
Scrabble. I wouldn't count it as English!

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux