[ih] On queueing from len

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Wed Oct 5 13:21:55 PDT 2022

Miaouing, a variant of meowing, has similar structure.

Several decades ago, Vint and I playfully created a small algorithm for
compressing English words in a way that approximated actual abbreviations.
The rules were:

   - Always retain first and last letter
   - Delete a, e, i, o and u except if they're in the first or last position
   - Delete r and n if they're preceded by a vowel and followed by a
   consonant

The above text becomes

Svrl dcds ago, Vt ad I plyflly crtd a smll algrithm fr cmprssg Eglsh wds.
The rls wre:

   - Alwys rtn fst ad lst lttr
   - Dlte a, e, i, o ad u excpt if thy're in the frst or lst pstn
   - Dlte r ad n if thy're prcdd by a vwl ad fllwd by a csnt

It was natural to ask which words compressed the most.  The metric we used
was (l+1)/(L+1), where l is the length after compression and L is the
length before compression.  The "+1" counted the space after a word.

"Queueing" came immediately to mind.  My girlfriend's mother quickly
supplied "miaouing."

Steve

On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 4:01 PM Bill Ricker via Internet-history <