[ih] On queueing from len

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:00:56 PDT 2022

> Some of these guys have happily adopted my “unusual” spelling of “queueing”
> with the extra “e” since I loved the idea of it being the only word in
> english with 5 vowels in a row (if you spell it the British way, which is
> why I chose the British spelling).

I am unreasonably pleased that this was intentional Britishism for this
especially nerdy purpose !
(Among my harmless sins is using 'perl' extended regular expressions to
cheat at word puzzles.)

I suspect my mentor MAP having been a STEM-humanities-STEM
double-cross-over would have appreciated also.

So I guess they read my book

I for one did.

At my first full-time job, we had a weekly brown-bag seminar working
through the LK QT 2-volume "book".
(The proofs felt like probability/statistics proofs to me. That's not a bad
thing, that's more "flavor".)

Our purposes were more for Simulations and Mathematical Modeling of
physical/social systems than for [IH]-topical reasons; while we were just
down the street from Project Mac and MIT LCS,  we at DOT TSC† were
un-networked. I had to walk over to MIT to use an ITS Guest Account to read
SF-Lovers and the like. (Sneakernet!) We didn't even have local email on
the TSC PDP-10 running stock DECsystem 10 then.
(It may have been an option that Systems group hadn't installed? Or not
shared with the great unwashed of applications programmers?)
(Hence i hacked up a text-skeuomorphic messaging system using System 1022
DBMS.)

The networks (in the more general sense of the word) that we were
interested in better simulating were mostly automotive commuter traffic
jams.
(And potentially airport takeoff and landing queues and rail etc., but the
roadways were more likely to exhibit the most surprising, seemingly
paradoxical theorems on networks, e.g. Braess's Paradox
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Braess%27s_Paradox&redirect=no>
[1] , mechanically simulated by Steve Mould
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg73j3QYRJc> [2] .)

† (now Volpe Center; i was with SDC A Burroughs Co, onsite contract staff,
1980-81; yes that SDC)
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braess%27s_paradox
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg73j3QYRJc