[ih] Internet should be in private hands

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.NA
Thu Dec 8 07:31:19 PST 2022

In the very beginning when my little 286 was the only box in .NA,
and Namibia for that matter, running UUPC on MS-DOS with the
fantastic PC-Elm written by a friend of mine in Turbo-C, using
MicroEmacs as the editor and a 2000 line BAT script to tie this
all together, it took me a while to figure out why there was
traffic coming my way which looked like it should have gone to
.NZ.

I was using a German keyboard a the time which is QWERTZ ie the Y
is close to the A but on the predominant standard keyboards
(QUERTY) the Z is close to the A so a typo would push that my way.

Then eventually I also saw a bit of traffic for .UA (handwritten
looks similar to .NA :-)-O)

I also recall that there was some Radio Amateur mail system where
the developers had thought that .NA was a great abbreviation for
North America.  As soon as there was a mail gateway (of sorts) to
the fledgeling Internet, I saw traffic for these too :-)-O

But the coolest stuff was for NAVY.MIL when some server in the
Great Lakes region cut off "VY.MIL".

I tried to figure out who to email in this regards (remember that
was before the Web) but never received a response until I somehow
found the email address of an Admiral there.  He copied me in to a
polite but stern instruction to have that fixed and I never saw
one of those again :-)-O

Technically (I think) Great Britain refers to England, Scotland
and Wales.

Technically (I think) the United Kingdom refers to Great Britain
and Northern Ireland.

So it does make sense to me that JANET which was a network of
universities and research institutions after all used something
like UK.2ld.3ld.4ld instead of GB.2ld.3ld.4ld because the network
included the institutions in Northern Ireland.

It predated the DNS (or at least the registration date of the two
ccTLDs .UK and .GB).  Eventually there were gateways "turning
around" the addresses (as below) so people would have been used to
emailing to 4ld.3ld.2ld.UK and changing that to 4ld.3ld.2ld.GB
would have been impractical.

Unfortunately on the ISO's Browsing Platform there is no history
for UK even though it would be really interesting to see when
that was reserved (on the request by HM Government, by the way).

el

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /       Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
el at lisse.NA             / *      |  Telephone: +264 81 124 6733 (cell)