[ih] Internet should be in private hands

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Dec 8 06:46:04 PST 2022

On 12/8/2022 6:24 AM, Craig Partridge via Internet-history wrote:
> This meant a bunch of Internet email systems had a "both-ways" switch that
> involved parsing domain names left to right and right to left to see if
> either version made sense.

A premise of 'gateway' operation is translation between heterogenous
environments.  As things come into an environment, make everything look
'native', to the extent possible.  The UK was trying to juggle
heterogeneous  throughout, rather than do a translation.

Sometimes, the need for gatewaying sneaks up on folk, when introducing a
parallel service.  Still I was always intrigued that the attempt here
was juggle rather than map.

d/

--
Dave Crocker