[ih] two letter follies, was Internet should be in private hands

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Thu Dec 8 00:21:12 PST 2022

If you don’t know, why comment? And there are more, of course, for example (at least) FO and BQ.

Again, the ISO maintains the International Standard ISO 3166-1:2020(E) with the title of "Codes
for the representation of names of countries and their subdivisions".

The operative words here are CODES (2 Letters, 3 Letters, Numbers), and NAMES.

And, the will of the government(s) filters down into the Standard (as can be seen by the recent name change of Türkiye, or by the 2 Letter code representing South Sudan), but I look at the ISO list from the viewpoint of “Distinct Economies”, which helps in most cases, but not all.

el