[ih] "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 18:16:23 PST 2022

I'm not sure whether this actually started before RFC1310 (March 1992), but certainly since then there have been multiple steps on the standards track: Proposed Standard, Draft Standard (no longer assigned) and Internet Standard.

(Rumour has it that this started in pure imitation of the ISO standards process. Vint can probably speak to the truth of that.)

But, as I first heard from Fred Baker, "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards", because most IETFers can't be bothered with the bureaucracy to take the next step. Draft Standard was abolished for new work to reduce the bureaucracy, but it hasn't had much effect. We did advance IPv6 to Internet Standard, but most WGs just don't bother.

In any case, the formal "STD" designation doesn't really mean much.

For a current non-IETF effort, I've drawn a diagram about how to interpret the status of RFCs. It can be found at https://github.com/becarpenter/book6/blob/main/8.%20Further%20Reading/8.%20Further%20Reading.md

Regards
    Brian Carpenter