[ih] anybody know the history of the group at NCSA that developed Mosaic & HTTPd?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Mar 12 09:05:19 PDT 2018

Thanks to all who've provided pointers - but, unfortunately, the oral
and written histories are pretty vague about the NCSA organization &
players - which is what I'm really trying to uncover.

I'm trying to understand the organizational histories & climates that
spawned the web - and that involves the managers, not just the workers.
How we got from public ftp archives, to MIT Techinfo, to gopher, to
TBL's early web - the organizational motivations/environmnts that led to
the initial development of each, their promulgation, their eventual
subsumption by today's web.

A lot of it's pretty well documented, and I have some personal knowledge
of some of the people & events, but the events at NCSA are less
visible.  IMHO, if it had not been for Mosaic and the NCSA HTTPd, the
HTTP/HTML web would have eventually gone the way of gopher, replaced by
something even newer and shinier. Andreessen, Bina, and McCool took the
web from laboratory prototype to "industrial strength."  I'd kind of
like to understand the environment in which that happened.

By analogy.  Licklider set the stage for lots of things - both at BBN,
and at ARPA - paving the way for lots of things.  We all know the story
of Ray Tomlinson hacking together the first ARPANET email.  The
environment at BBN that set the stage - Div. 6, the various
personalities - are discussed in "Where Hackers Stay up Late" and some
of the history that Dave Walden has assembled), less is known about the
next few months, when folks like Ken Pogran implemented mail systems for
various O/S environments.

Has anybody done this kind of historical treatment of NCSA? (There's a
timeline on their web site, from their 30th anniversary - but it's all
kind of sketchy.)

Cheers,

Miles