[ih] ISOC Live 12 Streams 4 - Dr. Larry Roberts - 'The ARPANET & Computer Networks'

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 14:25:45 PST 2018

Guy,

I was certainly not at that meeting in 1986, but I think your analysis
is spot on. Over in Europe many of us would have said much the same,
with an emphasis on "*American* military standards" in a slightly
disparaging tone. Looking at the reports I wrote about CERN network
policy in 1985/86, it's clear that we saw TCP/IP as an interim
solution. It was another three years before I wrote "Is OSI Too Late?"
[Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, 17 (1989) 284-286].

Regards
   Brian