[ih] ISOC Live 12 Streams 4 - Dr. Larry Roberts - 'The ARPANET & Computer Networks'

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Sun Dec 30 11:34:54 PST 2018

Joly et al.,
   This is very interesting.  And it reminds me of the tremendous
contributions that Larry made.

   Just referring to the two "original" videos below, I found the
second, labelled "ACM" to be fascinating.  Some on the list were
probably present for that Bay Area ACM meeting on the emerging
phenomenon of "workstations" as the new big thing.
   In that 1986 context, Larry's talk is all the more interesting both
for what he emphasized and for what he missed.
   His memories of the late-1950s TX-series machines (his 'personal'
computers) and particularly of his insights on the evolution of the
ARPAnet program through the early/mid-1970s struck me as spot on.
   Then there is a fascinating and intelligent discussion of Telenet as
the "successor" to the ARPAnet, the emergence of X.25 as an
international standard, and his thoughts on the value of commercial
packet-switched (but what I took to be virtual-circuit) networks crafted
to address cutting-edge applications such as image transfer.

   In hindsight at least, it is startling that the Internet is nowhere
mentioned in his talk.  The only real, but partial, allusion to it comes
in the Q/A session near the very end.  An audience member I don't know
referred in his question to the "military standard protocols"; in
Larry's response I took him to be dismissive of those "military standard
protocols".  The then-emerging "international standard protocols" seemed
to be viewed much more positively.
   While Barry Leiner correctly noted that the "international standard
protocols" had some major missing pieces, he also spoke of them as the
coming thing.
   I don't think that anyone, either Larry Roberts or any of those in
the Q/A session, used the word Internet or referred to the "military
standard protocols" (i.e., TCP/IP), in a positive light.
   Again, this is 1986.
   If I understand things correctly, the debate within the emerging
NSFnet project about whether to use TCP/IP was contemporary with this
1986 Bay Area ACM meeting.

   Did I hear this correctly?
   I'd be particularly interested in hearing from anyone who was present
for the Bay Area ACM meeting.

	-- Guy

The original videos are at
IHOF https://youtu.be/P7Pj1i6e0s4