[ih] Secret precedence schemes back then

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Jan 28 08:00:12 PST 2009

Louie,

Geeze, nice to know somebody was watching. The fuzzies could do
encapsulation, too, which is how HW and I had ARPAnet adresses at home.
I was something liek host 2 on net 29 via the Mitre IMP and a foreign
exchange line to Maryland. One of the first things I said to Steve Wolff
on accepting the NSFnet job was that NSF specifically fund the gated
project, as I viewed that as crucial to the success of the project, and
so he did.

You might have notices a scurry back then about mapping RIP metric to
and from Hello metric. Somewhere there is a postion paper on that and
the issue of avoiding loops. There should have been a paper on that. The
ARP gimmick you mentioned was used at UDel to launch UDel traffic and
fuzzie traffic on the same wire. The Ethernet interface at the time was
a monster $3000 board. The IMP interface was almost as much.

The last remaing fuzzball is in my basement. The original PDP11 code yet
spins on a disk here. Someday somebody migh enjoy lighing it up in
simulation. Meanwhile, I am having too much fun becoming a serious space
nut and launching NTP on NASA space missions. See
www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/proximity.html. More to come, as my contract
has just been renewed. Oh yeah, I have a contract for the second edition
of my book. Suchis life in retirement.

Dave