[ih] Secret precedence schemes back then

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Jan 28 07:38:36 PST 2009

Mike,

I expected a honk from you. What made the difference was that the
fuzzies enjoyed up to a megabyte of buffere mapped in multiple segments
in an LSI-11/73 processor. The operating system implemented a virtual
RS-11 system that had very little overhead., so was much faster than the
BBN implementation. In fact, the network code was later incorporated in
the US Postal service fax network.

There are two SIGCOM papers in the 1986-1988 era, one describing the
fuzzball, the other the NSFnet. There is a page about the fuzzies in the
NSF archives. The technical history of the internet presentation at
SIGCOM 99 is at www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/colloq.httml.

Dave