[ih] TCP

Karl Auerbach karl at iwl.com
Sun May 5 12:12:21 PDT 2024

By-the-way, there is an event on May 19:

https://engage.ieee.org/celebrate-i50

I would add, however, that the Internet is more than just TCP/IP.

I tend to think of TCP/IP as the super-glue that allowed several diverse
energies to come together.

We had the need of research and academic communities to share
information and resources, we had growing communities of USENET and BBS
people who had become familiar with network based communications, we had
government $$ from agencies desirous of making networks happen, we had
passed through a legal evolution in which the telco monopolies had been
eroded and their utility services pried open (i.e. via HushAPhone,
Carterphone, MCI cases), and computers that could be nodes on networks
became smaller and more ubiquitous (first with mini-computers then with
personal computers.)

In other words, we had a supersaturated solution of need and desire -
TCP was the invention that triggered the precipitation of the Internet.

	--karl--