[ih] Where it All Started: Panel Discussion on the Birth of the European Internet [RIPE NCC - South East Europe 12 Meeting in Athens, Greece]

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Fri Jun 14 15:40:59 PDT 2024

   Three interesting stories.
   A little more detail on the first of them: during the 1990s, there
was a startup called International Discount Telephony (which still
exists as idt.net).  It had a switching facility in New Jersey.  Its
customers were typically from Europe.  An example given customer, say
living in Frankfurt, would sign up and be assigned a New Jersey phone
number.  If that customer wanted to call someone in Dallas, he would
call that NJ phone number.  The switch at IDT would "answer" the call
and wait for touch tone commands from the customer.  In the example
given, the customer would then key in the Dallas phone number he was
actually trying to get to.  The switch would then hang up, place a
telephone call from New Jersey to the target number in Dallas, place a
second call from New Jersey to the customer in Frankfurt, and splice the
two calls together so that the Frankfurt customer was now talking to the
target Dallas person.  The cost charged to the customer included the
domestic US long distance New Jersey to Dallas call, the international
call from New Jersey to Frankfurt, and a fee.  The value all hinged on
the international call from the US to Germany being much cheaper than
the call from Germany to the US.
   The idea that they worked even from Geneva to Madrid (thus with two
international calls from New Jersey) demonstrates the degree of the
overpricing by European PTTs.  One can imagine how unhappy the PTTs were.
   By some telling of the story, this little New Jersey startup played a
key role in getting the European PTTs to dramatically reduce their
prices for international calls.  Again, by some tellings of the story,
this played a role in the undoing of the whole European PTT thing.

   If there is a flaw in your brief version of the story, it's the
innocent word "between".  We forget how huge the difference was between
the US-to-Geneva price and the Geneva-to-US price.

   At that time, Americans were confident that the US phone companies
were much more reasonable than the European phone companies.

   Regards,
	-- Guy