[ih] "#Internet shutdowns intended to prevent cheating on national exams continue in #Iraq and #Syria.

David Belson dbelson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 10:14:06 PDT 2024

 👋 I’m the author of that Tweet — thanks for sharing it.

Iraq and Syria have been shutting down the Internet an an attempt to
prevent cheating on exams for the last several years — Syria (2021
<https://blog.cloudflare.com/syria-exam-related-internet-shutdowns>, 2022
<https://blog.cloudflare.com/syria-sudan-algeria-exam-internet-shutdown>,
2023 <https://blog.cloudflare.com/q2-2023-internet-disruption-summary>) and
Iraq (2022
<https://blog.cloudflare.com/syria-sudan-algeria-exam-internet-shutdown>,
2023 <https://blog.cloudflare.com/exam-internet-shutdowns-iraq-algeria>) —
and other countries do it as well, including India, Mauritania, Uzbekistan,
and Algeria. It is, to be sure, a heavy-handed approach to solving the
problem.

—David