[ih] Politics behind the Internet

Scott Bradner sob at sobco.com
Mon Jul 22 03:42:57 PDT 2024

> On Jul 21, 2024, at 10:45 PM, Dave Crocker via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> As for the officially constrained scope of the customer base, this is true.  Only CS departments were allowed to use the access.  No one else on the campus or organization could... oh, wait...

for ARPANET sites - this all changed when CSNET came in - everyone at the institution could use the net for email

I remember removing the filters when Harvard joined CSNET (using the ARPANET for connectivity)

Scott

ps - this event is a section in my book Forks in the Digital Road -
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/forks-in-the-digital-road-9780197617779?cc=us&lang=en&