[ih] Politics behind the Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Jul 21 18:59:32 PDT 2024

On 7/21/24 04:47, Gergely Buday via Internet-history wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> when the American Congress realised the importance of the Internet?
>
> Back in the eighties we were listening the Radio Free Europe on shortwave
> radios. Congress supported that financially. Did it have similar thoughts
> concerning the Internet, that it would spread freedom politically and
> economically?
>
> Yours
>
> - Gergely

My slightly different perspective, all IIRC:

The US Congress has realized the importance of technology since Sputnik
beat the US to space in the 50s.   That triggered the formation of ARPA,
and led to the funding of the ARPANET, and then much of the early work
on what now is the Internet.

During that era with the ARPANET, the importance of communications was
well understood.   But the focus of those efforts was all inward.
Communications was useful as an infrastructure for government-sponsored
research.   Users of the ARPANET were limited to people who were working
on some government contract.

The same constraint applied during the early days of the Internet and
TCP/IP, and as the ARPANET evolved into the Defense Data Network.
Again the communications infrastructure being built was intended for use
by government systems, specifically Department of Defense and a few
European allies.

IIRC, there was little talk of "spreading" either politically or
economically.  Simply put, there was no relevant audience reachable
through the networks.   All users were internal, working on or for
government projects.

With Al Gore's involvement and the entry of the National Science
Foundation (NSF), the Internet expanded beyond its original military
deployment into the broader realm of education and research.   It was
however still focussed inwards, building a communications infrastructure
for use by scientific users, using the tchnology already proven by the
military research.

At about that time, as KarlA noted, government (US at least) focus
shifted to embrace "COTS" - Commercial Off The Shelf - solutions. IIRC
this was somewhat driven by the stories at the time of "$600 hammers"
and the like.  Instead of having custom-built, and therefore expensive,
systems, the US government wanted to simply purchase commercial products.

NSF funded a lot of small networks which could be linked together using
TCP technology.  However, they introduced a new constraint which the
chosen contractors had to follow.   Funding would be provided to build
and operate a network, but only for a few years. Then the network would
have to become self-sufficient.   It might continue to operate providing
service to its scientific users, but it would be funded by charges to
those users' budgets, in a competitive environment.

That motivated the creation of the "ISP" (Internet Service Provider)
industry, and the mechanisms for offering Internet service as a product
available to the masses.   NSF was "kickstarting" networks, but forcing
them to figure out how to become self-sufficient. A project would buy
test tubes from their lab supplier, and Internet services from their
chosen ISP.

At the same time, commercial startups and their products were becoming
available to supply that COTS demand.  Cisco Systems is probably the one
people remember most.

In addition, all sorts of companies and organizations were defining,
building, and deploying their own solutions for a communications
infrastructure.  This lead to SNA, DECNET, Netware, Banyan, Xerox, OSI,
and more I've probably forgotten.   All of these competed to be the
chosen "winner" and supply their technology to the world.  This led to
concepts such as the "Global LAN", and the creation of "multiprotocol
routers" that enabled organizations to build their own "intranets" for
their own internal use.

Although "the Internet" was still growing, there were many other
"intranets" taking advantage of the plethora of communications
technologies available at the time.  TCP was usually there, but it was
not alone.  Such "multiprotocol intranets" were a nightmare to build and
operate.   I personally was involved in one of them, with network nodes
in more than 100 countries.   Running such a network was a bit like the
frenzied circus performers who keep lots of plates spinning on top of
sticks.

Very little if any (that I knew about) of all that was funded by the US
government, except as a customer for its own internal users in a wide
range of different administrations and agencies.

Sometime in the early 1990s, corporations struggling with multiprotocol
environments experimented to find solutions and rapidly coalesced into
the one technology that was pervasive, seemed to work, and had a ready
supply of technical expertise coming out of the universities' pipeline.
TCP won the battle and multiprotocol systems are likely becoming if not
already extinct.

There still wasn't much of an audience in the general public.  Some
early adopters could participate by dialup, but the only function of
much interest to the public was electronic mail.

Then the Web happened.

Through the 90s, the Internet, using the Web mechanisms, became the
communications infrastructure for the general public, and spread
throughout the world.  Electronic Commerce, Social Media, and general
availability of all kinds of information created the public
infrastructure for all sorts of public activities - good and bad.

AFAIK, the US government had little involvement in funding that
transition.   It was however a user, with traditional government
services to the public becoming accessible by using the Internet and the
Web mechanisms.

One of Congress' thoughts might have been to use the Internet as a
mechanism to "spread freedom", but I at least don't remember anything
specific during the pre-Web era.  It wasn't until the Web brought the
Internet to the public that there was an audience available for such things.

I'm not sure Congress, or anyone for that matter, even now realizes the
importance of the Internet.   Some historian with expertise in
government and politics would probably know more.

Hope this helps,
Jack Haverty