[ih] Politics behind the Internet

Karl Auerbach karl at iwl.com
Sun Jul 21 12:31:13 PDT 2024

The US government is a big animal, actually a herd of big animals, so
awareness of, and interest in, non-circuit switched network technology
arose in different places, at different times, and at different rates.
(There was, of course, a lot of recognition of circuit switched networks.)

In 1978 I was thinking of joining the office of the Legal Advisor at the
US State Dept or the chief counsel's office at then rather new NTIA.  At
the State Dept there was essentially no recognition of the nascent
networks and their underlying packet switching technologies.  But over
at NTIA there were a very few of us - two of us were from SDC - who had
had contact with the various network systems that were then starting to
recognize the need for something with fewer connectivity lumps and
greater extent.

At that time my head was down in the world of computer/database privacy
and international data flows of personally identifiable information
rather than in the nuts and bolts of networking and security that I had
worked on at SDC.  (I had been working on computer privacy for quite a
while - somewhere in my paper archives are letters that Senator Sam
Ervin and I had exchanged - during the time he was chairing the
Watergate hearings! - about US privacy policy.)

During the 1970s at SDC I mostly worked on military related networks
(mostly classified and thus not well known.)  It was pretty clear that
even from the early 1970s that the US military was aware of the value of
wide-scale connectivity, not just between stationary computer centers
but also on a tactical, mobile, in-the-field basis.  (During that time
we worked with the US Marines on what would today be called a mesh
network - Dave Kaufman and I joked that our backpack-mounted nodes were
of such size and weight that only the bigger Marines would be able to
haul the gear - I couldn't lift it.)

In the mid 1980's when I worked on the magnetic confinement fusion (MFE)
project out at the Livermore Labs we had an ad hoc network that was
beginning to interconnect with other academic and research networks.  It
was all very klunky and duct-tape-and-bailing-wire, but the value was
well recognized.

In those years (mid 1980's) USENET was growing like wildfire and showing
people, many of whom were in government positions, the value of having
network based bapplications like email and netnews.  There were many
people with feet in both the evolving Internet and in Usenet; the two
networks intellectually pollenized one another, particularly at the
application layer.

To my mind one of the most important inflection points of US government
interest in something resembling today's Internet was the Air Force's
ULANA procurement.  They wanted commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS)
networking gear that they could just hook up and go.  That procurement
pushed a lot of energy into coercing vendors to actually assure
interoperability.  Those vendors were mostly small at that time - for
instance, Cisco was still a garage operation.  (Our group, TRW, lead by
Geoff Baehr and David Kaufman, won the bid, but AT&T protested and the
entire procurement crumbled as a result and never was actually awarded.
But the concept of real interoperability had taken root.)

	--karl--