[ih] Really old list archives

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Jan 23 13:57:01 PST 2024

On 1/23/2024 1:50 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> I find it curious that no one seems interested in preserving the
> history captured in emails like the ones here and on many past mailing
> lists.

I tried raising the issue a few times, over the years, notably around
the IETF, where email, internet drafts, and the like are an integral
part of its history.  Never got any traction.

My guess is that the fact that the material gets backed up is thought to
be equivalent to museum-quality archiving.

The interesting technical part is that these repositories continue to
grow, so that serious, long-term archiving requires some sort of
automated feed when new material appears.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking