[ih] Dave Mills has passed away

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Jan 19 12:42:29 PST 2024

> I am accumulating Dave Mills stories here:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XU6Fn5rFeJLO4mIBSa9e8V8BIDwafI0Lvlmi4gQwcmE/edit?usp=sharing

For your Mills Compendium:

Dave was also my nemesis.   As the explorer and tinkerer scientist, Dave
was always trying out new ideas for his potent army of Fuzzies - the
small computers he was seeding around the Internet.  At the time, my
task from Arpa was to "make the core Internet run as a reliable
service".   Tinkering and Reliability do not mix well.

Dave was the Scientist of the Internet.   At Internet meetings, Dave
would report on his latest Fuzzy Adventures.   I can paraphrase his
reports as "I tickled the Internet with a Fuzzy stick and it turned
pink!"  My reaction was always "Don't do that!!"

Few people probably realize one of Dave's crucial contributions to
Internet technology - the concept of "Autonomous Systems", which
survives today, 40 years later.  Dave didn't invent it, but he caused
it.  The antics of his Fuzzies forced Eric Rosen and I to create
Autonomous Systems and EGP as a "firewall" mechanism to keep the
Internet "core" safe from the marauding Fuzzies and their occasional
collateral damage.

Scientists yearn to measure things.  Engineers just want to make it
work.  In the 1980s, the scientist part of Dave needed to measure time
on the Internet and there was no way to do that.   So he created one,
quite elegant and unbelievably accurate.   Then his Engineering persona
made it work.

The Internet will never forget Dave.  As the Internet evolves into the
Internet of Things, and billions of devices continue to appear, they
will all know what time it is, thanks to Dave.

Dave is still here, all over The Internet.