[ih] Milestone in IPv4->IPv6 migration..?

John Kristoff jtk at dataplane.org
Fri Jan 19 10:47:46 PST 2024

On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 10:24:59 -0800
Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org>
wrote:

> I know there have been charges for a "static IPv4 address" for a long
> time for ISP subscribers, but is this the first for servers?

There have been some providers doing this for awhile now, but by far
AWS is the biggest to do it by default.

Many providers have offered what is essentially v6-only for a discount,
then charging an additional amount to get v4. MythicBeasts was probably
the first to offer an IPv6-only VM. DigitalOcean, Vultr, SSDNodes,
Hetzner, EUServ, and probably a bunch more have all had some sort of
v6-only and v4 for an additional plan for awhile.  A few smaller, lesser
known hosting providers will sell a v6 + v4 NAT plan.

John