[ih] Tell me about host names and 3com

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Jan 18 10:13:49 PST 2024

n 1/17/2024 4:53 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> On 18-Jan-24 12:02, John Gilmore via Internet-history wrote:
>> Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org>
>> wrote:
>>> If I am an entrepreneur musing about writing a new mail system, both
>>> clients and server, totally from scratch with no use of existing
>>> libraries or such, is there any place where I can find the complete
>>> set of specifications for what my new software has to do in order to
>>> interoperate with the rest of Internet email?
>>
>> In short, no.
>
> It turns out to be a hard problem, which the IETF has been aware of
> at some level for a couple of decades, but has never solved.

Some years ago, I started a project to satisfy exactly the kind of need
you expressed. I could not get any traction for it.  Here is the
prototype that was produced:

    Technology Document Suites <#>

    🔗 https://bbiw.net/clusters/ <https://bbiw.net/clusters/>

The combination of this and my earlier Success/Failure documentation
effort (*) suggests that the fun of producing documents is not matched
with a general, follow-on concern about actual utility.

Obviously individuals and groups, here and there, do care about
utility.  But the IETF, as a body, leaves such issues to others, except
marginally when full standardization is sought.

There is no community interest in tracking and assessing overall IETF
effectiveness.

d/

Here is a rendering of a page from that:

    ietf-sucfail-01dc.html <#>

    🔗
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5pt3e1g96aaledt7judff/ietf-sucfail-01dc.html?rlkey=tcr9byd2b86vijhk6l49r5k3c&dl=0
    <https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5pt3e1g96aaledt7judff/ietf-sucfail-01dc.html?rlkey=tcr9byd2b86vijhk6l49r5k3c&dl=0>