[ih] Email reliability

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Jan 14 18:41:50 PST 2024

It appears that Grant Taylor via Internet-history <gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net> said:
>My opinion is that mailing lists are a terminal point.  As such they are
>an MUA, not an MTA.  Mailing lists receive a copy of a message and
>generate a new and completely independent message substantively based on
>the message they received.  But the message in to and out of a mailing
>list are two substantively different messages.  As such, I believe they
>should have different Message-IDs.

I take your point, but everyone I know considers it a feature that if
I send a message both to you and to the mailing list, the copy you get
directly and the copy that's gone through the list have the same
Message-ID so your MUA knows only to show it to you once.

R's,
John

PS: Before someone else brings this up, on my mail system I route list
mail and personal mail differently, and so if you respond to me and
would like an answer it is VERY VERY IMPORTANT that you send it to
BOTH the list and to me directly and everyone has to do it my way and
if you do not you are a bad person.