[ih] fun with mail, Early History of the Internet

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jan 11 13:40:42 PST 2024

It appears that Jack Haverty via Internet-history <jack at 3kitty.org> said:
>Lots of email configurations changed with the new year, part of efforts
>to fight spam.   That includes your email provider - yahoo:
>
>https://en-global-stage.help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN24050.html
>
>It appears from this announcement that yahoo will now reject email
>allegedly coming from yahoo but not arriving via one of yahoo's own
>servers.

Actually, that's been largely true since 2014.

Most mailing list software has workarounds for overly strict DMARC
rules. If ISOC isn't using them I can make some inquiries.

R's,
John

PS:

>For reasons I can't imagine, the DMARC mechanism allows mail services to
>specify a percentage of suspicious emails that should be just
>discarded. ....

That was a mistake. Nobody uses anything other than 0% or 100% and the
percentage option is gone from the upcoming DMARC update. If a
recipient is enforcing DMARC at all, they enforce it on all of their
mail.