[ih] Early History of the Internet

Karl Auerbach karl at iwl.com
Wed Jan 10 12:03:28 PST 2024

(This is a second repost, this time via another of my email providers,
the original and first repost both seem to have vanished, silently, into
the luminiferous ether. Between odd problems such as this and the slow
accumulation of various kinds of anti-spam/anti-something-else blocks I
begin to wonder if the net isn't perhaps beginning to get a case of
arterial blockage.  But so much for my whining ... now onto the topic at
hand:)

Let's not forget the work of Dave Farber and his students on the
Distributed Computer Network (DCS) during that late 1960s at UC Irvine.

I first became aware of that work in the rather early 1970s when I was
at SDC.  Frank Heinrich (one of Farber's students) had worked on a
distributed file system for DCS.  Frank joined our network/operating
security research group (Dave Kaufman, Jerry Cole, and myself) and
introduced us to the notion of an operating system and applications in
which the various parts would exist on separate computers of disjoint
architectures and that work would be allocated via a bid-quote-contract
exchange, That idea was very much like what has developed today with
today's web based computing where pieces of applications go forth on the
net to locate service APIs (often reified today via things like REST).

(We can also look inwards at how similar ideas, but on a different and
smaller scale are used inside modern processors as they schedule work
among collections of processing units.)

Sun's slogan "The network is the computer" can just as easily turned
around to be "The computer is the network."

To me this notion of the network as a collection of functions forming a
distributed process (filled with all of the kinds of feedback loops and
emergent properties of many distributed processes) was a major
revelation and a big break from my prior view of a network as a
collection of interconnected computers. It had a huge impact on my
approach to network management - from dealing with individual computers
(and routers and such) to dealing with the overall distributed process.
(That kind of alternate view has, I believe, been of use in some very
useful recent ideas, such as the work of Dave Taht and others on
bufferbloat along network paths.  I have my own own hopes to introduce
kinds of homeostatic self-diagnosing, self-adjusting system to the net
that try to deal with the net much the same way that medicine often
measures indirect affects and applies indirect influences to adjust and
correct the health of individual people.)

I nudged and cajoled Dave F. for several years to create something to
help us remember the oft overlooked DCS project. Here's the resulting
online session:

https://youtu.be/Noqf36Fx20s

         --karl--