[ih] Early History of the Internet

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Jan 9 18:30:30 PST 2024

Keep in mind that CYCLADES was not intended to be a production network, but a network for doing research on networks. Hence, they started with the idea of doing the least that was possible and then seeing what else was needed and how. In a sense, CYCLADES was the first ‘clean-slate’ attempt.

Also, CYCLADES assumed that hosts were not located near the CIGALE switches and that a Host could be connected to more than one switch. It supported multihoming as a consequence of the architecture. The Transport Protocol carried its own addresses and had a network address for each switch it was connected to.

They started with fixed routing and moved later to dynamic routing later. Cigale was implemented by Jean-Louis Grangé.  They had also done a contract in 1972 with Univ of Waterloo to investigate routing and congestion.  Eric Manning had a brilliant grad student named Merek Irland. He did a lot of simulations. However, by 1979, when IRIA sponsored a conference on flow and congestion control, he had died of lung cancer. The proceedings are dedicated to him.

Furthermore, the designers of the Transport Protocol (Zimmermann and Elie) had realized that the protocol naturally cleaved into data transfer and feedback functions (ack and flow control). Data Transfer writes the state vector, Feedback reads it and generates the ack and flow control packets. There is very little interaction between the two. During connection establishment, it was possible to choose whether the feedback functions were present. So in effect, CYCLADES Transport included both the UDP and TCP functionality and later didn’t break fragmentation at the gateways.

CYCLADES was exploring a different problem than the ARPANET or the Internet.

Take care,
John Day