[ih] Early History of the Internet

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Jan 9 17:48:38 PST 2024

On 1/9/2024 5:32 PM, Tom Lyon wrote:
> If one focuses on user experience, rather than lower layer technology,
> one can argue that Arpanet and Internet were essentially the same.
> Compatible host naming, email, telnet, ftp...  IMHO.  Of course,
> Internet evolved from there.

Arpanet had a central authority, even with the various host-level
independence..  An Internet does not have any central authority.

So for discussion of UX I think it entirely reasonable to talk about the
Internet starting in 1969, or at least with FTP, Telnet, and email,
about 2-3 years after that.

But this mailing list is discussing underlying tech.  So the differences
between single network and inter-networkS is fundamental.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking