[ih] Porn on the net

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Mon Sep 19 22:58:01 PDT 2022

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 03:03:43PM +1200, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> On 20-Sep-22 14:09, John Levine via Internet-history wrote:
> > It appears that Dave Taht via Internet-history <dave.taht at gmail.com> said:
> > > Prior to the advent of the vcr, where would porn on the arpanet have come
> > > from? Scanners? 8mm films? ASCII art?
> >
> > There was certainly ASCII art. I recall one of a nude woman with
> > strategically placed close parens.
>
> That of course started as EBCDIC art on IBM line printers, or earlier.
> I suspect that scurrilous material was available for sending long before
> there was any network to send it on.
>
> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.folklore.computers/c/i-fJcVXkCLU/m/VFBYHdMuhdMJ

Define "network to send it on".

When i was serving in the navy in the 80th, i think
i saw the tailend of ASCII (nude) "art" on teletypewriters, stored on (i guess) ITA 2
alphabet punched tape and sent accordingly over the radio "network".
Luckily, there was already end-to-end encryption for "privacy protection" back then ;-)

19th century seems to have been uninspired though, this thing starte later
than i would have guessed:

https://www.bullfrag.com/remembering-the-mythical-ascii-art-of-the-90s-and-2000s/

"As stated in the book Typewriter Art: A Modern Anthology we owe it to the butterfly created by Flora FF Stacey on a typewriter back in 1898."

Cheers
    Toerless