[ih] Porn on the net

Leo Vegoda leo at vegoda.org
Mon Sep 19 12:46:42 PDT 2022

On Mon, 19 Sept 2022 at 12:13, Bob Purvy via Internet-history
<internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

[...]

> So I know Usenet had its alt.sex.* groups forever, and I remember that in
> the *very* early days, "pornography" was the one monetization case that
> everyone could agree might work. Maybe the only one. When did you first
> hear of someone doing this for money?

The FT recently published a fairly deep investigation of money and
porn in podcast form: Hot Money.

Episode 4 deals with Rusty and Edie's BBS but I think they covered the
whole scene from very early networking to almost today quite clearly.

https://www.ft.com/content/762e4648-06d7-4abd-8d1e-ccefb74b3244 and
presumably all the places podcasts are published.