[ih] Porn on the net

Bob Purvy bpurvy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:12:59 PDT 2022

I'm starting my 3rd book, which will mainly cover the 90s and the dot-com
boom, and a friend Chris told me a story that I want to use. I wonder if
any of you have similar stories?

Chris was in an elevator in the *very* early days of the Internet (before
widespread adoption), and this sleazy-looking guy (bad looking, open collar
shirt, chains around his neck) got in, and told him he was going to put
PORNOGRAPHY on the Internet!

Chris was shocked & amused. Nudes on the net! He wondered if that would
work?

So I know Usenet had its alt.sex.* groups forever, and I remember that in
the *very* early days, "pornography" was the one monetization case that
everyone could agree might work. Maybe the only one. When did you first
hear of someone doing this for money?