[ih] Early IRC (was Re: Chat room and forum archives)

Ofer Inbar cos at aaaaa.org
Thu Sep 1 08:46:59 PDT 2022

On Thu, Sep 01, 2022 at 06:42:44PM +0300,
Kauto Huopio via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
> IRC is still used in many mission-critical purposes..many ISP:s used to
> have their internal NOC/engineering IRC servers. Military uses a form of
> IRC..

As of when I left Google in late 2019, IRC was still extensively used
internally, and preferred by SRE, due to being the one internal comms
system that does not depend on various other bits of Google prod and
thus does not have correlated outages with those.

But maybe we should fork this thread into an IRC history thread :)
Since it does sound like IRC is not likely what that fictionaly
character would've used.  Subject line modified.
  -- Cos